Thursday, May 22, 2008

thoughts

as most of you know, I am an avid WAYWT poster on a couple of forums. Yesterday I was wearing a skeleton t-shirt, jeans and converse and decided to throw my RO jacket on top of it. One poster was surprised to see me pair such an impact piece with a very commonplace outfit (print tee+jeans+converse). To a certain extent I agree, sometimes statement pieces should be "respected" in a sartorial sense, letting them shine in an aesthetically coherent context, and not let the clothes look as if they were bought JUST because they're hyped. But the other part of me wants to take those beautiful clothes and treat them as I would treat all the other "mortals" in my closet (H&M, et al)! I know for a fact that Rick Owens intends for his pieces to be worn to death, ripped a bit even, and not glorified.

I try to keep all these factors in mind while shopping. Are my new buys coherent with the rest of my wardrobe?

I don't think it's a bad thing to think out one's outfits, just as long as they don't look too "try-hard".

What are your thoughts on the matter?

2 comments:

chauss said...

your oufit was the only way to wear ro. i do NOT believe in buying items to hang out untouched in one's closet. clothes are meant tobe worn and enjoyed. there are no rules . do what YOU want and then the look will be PERFECT bc you created it for YOU.
i have dozens of gorgeous stilettos and also beautiful dressy vintage lbds. i tend to wear them apart bc i dont like a perfectly coiffed look. mess it up, loubs with distressed jeans. yeah. and dior satin and lace lbd with motorcycle booties work for me. :) and you looked MAH_VELOUS in the ro and t and jeans. seems perfect to me.........

JJ said...

thank you for your opinion chauss! <3<3
I also dislike the "done" look.. messing it up and having fun with it is what it's all about.