Friday, May 2, 2008

Skeletons in your...blazer


Aitor Throup
(kanyeuniversity.com)



Viktor and Rolf
(style.com)

I found the V&R collection to be a bit gimmicky. The 3D phrases seemed "stuck on" the clothes and were kind of an eyesore. It look put there just for the sake of being edgy.
On the other hand, when I saw this look from Aitor Throup's collection I was struck dumb. The skulls seem to come out from inside, Alien style. Even though I appreciate V&R's attempt to break out of the mold and do something different, the collection does not move me...something that I expect every good design to do.
Throup comes through though, taking the trended-out skull and giving it back its morbid and scary connotations. The effect is even more powerful when it is contrasted with the classic men's suit.

I so wish Aitor did womenswear too.... sigh!

1 comment:

nv said...

That suit is scary but at the same time amazingly captivating. It's so freakin' cool haha.