Friday, July 4, 2008

Affordable Avant-Garde


Photobucket

I know how hard it can be to find a great, avant-garde piece at a good price. CdG, Junya, Yamamoto, Ann D, Rad Hourani, Margiela and the like are awe-inspiring but their prices are quite prohibitive. I don't see this as a completely negative thing, I believe these garments to be "wearable art" and most probably are way more deserving of their gasp-inducing price tag than say, clothes from Dsquared.
When I buy something pricey, I think about what I'm spending money on, and hope that the highest percentage does not go the brand name. How much am I paying for the material and quality? but most importantly, how much am I paying for design, and the artist's thought process? This is what I think it is important to support.

Even more deserving of their pricetag is the mid-market avant-garde... These labels keep the materials basic to be able to focus on the design and remain affordable.

COMPLEX GEOMETRIES
As the name says, it's all about the geometry. Garments are meant to be worn in different ways, and with each piece they show the pattern so you can appreciate it's construction. Most are unisex!

Ribbon sweater vest
$138

SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE
From their site:
Slow and Steady Wins the Race is a new clothing label, presented as a bimonthly clothing diary, cataloguing ideas that are focused on a specific and fundamental characteristic of clothing design.
here are the Sweats: various garments constructed in heather grey fleece, complete with ribbed edges and slouchiness.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Shirt: re-interpretation of the basic white whirt.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunglasses:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

The best part?
EVERYTHING is $100!
I invite you to visit their website, as these are mere snippets of what they offer.

I know these are not the only two labels... so if you know of any other brands that are worth mentioning please don't hesitate to say so :)

2 comments:

Fashion Is Poison said...

wow these are great pieces at fantastic price points!!!

btw, do you know how opening ceremony shoes run?

JJ said...

Sorry hun I don't know how they run... maybe try emailing a site that carries them? I know creaturesofcomfort.us and oaknyc carry opening ceremony.